Saturday, August 22, 2009

Anne Bradstreet's "To My Dear and Loving Husband"

THESIS: In "To My Dear and Loving Husband," by Anne Bradstreet, it is through hyperbolic metaphors, paradox and diction that conveys a genuine emotion as she struggles with the security of puritan doctrine alongside the insecurity of how she needs reassurance for love.

"I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench, Nor ought but love from thee, give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay, The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persevere That when we live no more, we may live ever."

I like this part of this poem because it shows Anne Bradstreet as a human. It shows a puritan as a human. It is like she is having an argument with herself. She is saying "oh he is probably cheating," or "Oh I don't think he loves me as much, he's changed." Then she says "no he does, I'm worrying too much." This segment of "To My Dear and Loving Husband" also states that she loves her husband more than all the riches in the east." So she is saying she loves her husband more than the gold, but she isn't supposed to like material items at all. But she accepts the fact that she is human and she isn't and never will be: perfect. Where as other puritans will pretend that they are perfect and won't accept the fact that they will mess up or have already messed up. Instead they lie to others, to themselves, and therefore to God.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the poem anad grasped like the humanity side of Anne. I like understood what the poem meant but I especially liked how you explained it in the last like three sentences of this post. (especially the last sentence!) Ok now I'm trying to figure out how to word this, ok I can barely figure out what to say sometimes and now this is ridiculus. I guess the reason for this is the last lines drove the poem meaning straight through to my heart. I've been living like a double life for a while...well not exactly double. I was one way at church and then one way at school. My life is just starting to get right and then obstacles come up. I like know this needs to happen but it's just hard. Away from school I would been all..not quiet and yet people at my school thought I was quiet. I've been trying to be perfect to please everyone but all its doing is hurting me. Now a ton of people think I'm "all smart" and then I don't want to let them down and be embarassed. If they do better at me in something then they're like "I did better than ____ omg" And then that just bugs me so much. Then if I'm like I have no clue what I made and then they're basically like stop worrying you KNOW you did great. When I'm just freaking out like everyone else. They think I'm all perfect and then I've like built up a wall so I'd be "all perfect" when I'm really not. And now it's hard to break down the way and trust people.(esp. hard cuz ive always been afraid of rejection even though my moms like "the worst thing that they can say is no" It's just hard to trust people and give them the power to break my heart that seems incredibly easy to break. Its just hard

    ReplyDelete